My Baby, Geno

by Draya
(Chicago)

Cleaning a new baby

Cleaning a new baby

He was my biggest sweetie, but he'd been sick before. I took him to the vet a month ago for a sickness he couldn't quite recover from, only he was misdiagnosed and given the wrong medicine. Not trusting the vet much, I took matters into my own hands and started natural treatment until amoxicillin could arrive. I strongly believe he had pneumonia. I steamed him in hot showers, hand-fed him and had him drinking from a dropper. I would mash his foods and peel things so he could eat them. He lost tons of weight and was barely active. The amoxicillin came a little late and I started him up on that immediately, closely following instruction from an expert who'd had rats for years. He was supposed to start to improve over a few days, but on the contrary he became worse until he couldn't even stand. And then he just died. His breathing went from very heavy to shallow and I lost him. I'm going to miss him so badly.
This little sweetheart always came when I called his name during playtime and he stuck to me like glue. Until the very end, he didn't want me to put him back in the cage. I don't know what I'm going to do without him, and I don't want to sleep. People overlook these animals so often, I doubt anyone would understand that this pain is just as bad as losing any other loved pet, whether it lives long or not. He didn't deserve this.

I love you Geno, and I hope to see you again someday.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Loss of Pet Stories.